Growing up, my mom’s oatmeal chocolate chip cookies were some of my very favorites.
Chewy on the inside, slightly crispy on the outside — aka exactly how an oatmeal cookie should be. This is her recipe (taken from the back of an oats container!) that I’ve adapted slightly. So quick, easy, and delicious, these cookies are perfect for any occasion (even if that occasion is a Saturday at home!)
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips (You can also use semi-sweet or milk chocolate if you don’t like dark chocolate! But dark chocolate is so good in these cookies)
Coarse salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or large mixing bowl if using a hand mixer), combine butter, shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer until creamed.
- Reduce mixer to low; slowly add oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Add in chocolate chips and stir just until combined.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. You don’t want to overbake these!
- Take out of oven and immediately hit pan on the counter. This will help flatten the cookies and give them that chewy inside that makes oatmeal cookies so delicious! Transfer to a cooling rack.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.