Sometimes you just start craving snickerdoodles and have to drop everything and make snickerdoodles. That’s what happened here.
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
½ cup shortening
1 ½ cups white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp white sugar (for rolling)
2 tsp cinnamon (for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cream together butter, shortening, and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla, blend well.
- Add dry ingredients — flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
- Roll spoonfuls of dough into balls.
- Mix white sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl; coat balls of dough. Place balls of dough at least two inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Tip: to keep your hands cleaner, roll out all balls of dough, then roll them all in cinnamon sugar, rather than doing it one at a time.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until just set. Remove from oven and tap baking sheet onto a flat surface to create a “cracked” surface.
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.